Hi everyone!! My apologies for not being able to post a tip last Tuesday, but as most of you know my precious laptop kicked the proverbial bucket! I am happy to say that a computer genius has had my laptop at the spa for the past week, and it is now well rested and a few pounds lighter, and hopefully it will be coming home in the next day or two!! YAY!! I can’t WAIT to have it back! I didn’t realize how lost I would be without it!!
Speaking of spas…. (okay lame segue! HA HA HA!) Today my tip is all about focusing on pampering as part of your treatment plan. Most of us bathe everyday (at least I hope we do!), it is one of the basics needs we mindlessly take care of everyday. If you are someone who suffers from chronic pain, bathing can even be considered a chore! How many times have you been too sore to stand in the shower for longer than a few minutes? And once you are in the shower, does it hurt to lift your arms above your head to wash your hair? Are you someone who loves to take a bath but on bad pain days you are not sure whether you will be able to get in and out of the bath on your own? See… for all you “normal” people out there ( I use that term affectionately to describe those who don’t suffer from daily pain), bathing is something you can do without having to take many factors into consideration… for us Chronics, it is a little more complicated!!
Which leads me to the tip this week – Take the time to make one night this week a spa night! Your body might just thank you for it!!
Hydrotherapy is the use of water to relieve pain and treat illness. It is a general term, but things such as underwater massage, mineral baths, jacuzzi tubs, cold plunge pools, Vichy shower, and raindrop treatments are all forms of hydrotherapy – and they are ALL used as treatment for chronic pain. However, you don’t have to spend major bucks at a spa to get some of the same results!! How about a spa quality bath at home?
I have spent a lot of time researching the place that essential oils have in the treatment of chronic pain. It started out many years ago when an old friend of mine began to use different oils in her practice as a Registered Massage Therapist, and she used me as her guinea pig! I noticed a difference with certain oils she used, and went home and spent countless hours doing research on how I could apply this to my own treatment plan.
I came up with the most amazing bath salts, and whenever I was in severe pain I would pour myself a bath, and wash away some of the pain. I shared these bath salts with others, and they have worked for everyone who has used them! Keep in mind they are NOT a cure 🙂 they are simply just another ‘tool’ to put in your tool belt to help you manage. I’d like to share the recipe with you!
*Note that ALL of the ingredients I have used can be found at any reputable health food store or online. The start-up cost can be around $75-$100 but your oils will last you a VERY long time! I only need to replace my essential oils once or twice per year – and I take TONNES of baths!!
RELAXATION BATH SALTS RECIPE
- The base of your bath salts will be Epsom Salts. They are INEXPENSIVE and have a high concentration of Magnesium(great for chronic pain). Pour out 2 cups of Epsom salts into a plastic container.
- You may now add a few tablespoons of baking soda or ground oatmeal if you would like, but you do NOT need to. I choose to skip this step, but if you have extremely sensitive skin, you may want to include it.
- Next you simply get out your oils and add 3-5 drops of each! If you have sensitive skin, you may want to start out with 2 drops of each, but I have worked up to 5 drops of each oil. The oils along with their healing properties are listed below.
- Add to your bath water, and VOILA!! a relaxing and powerful spa bath at home!!
These are the oils I use:
- Basil – helps with exhaustion, muscle aches, rheumatism, flu like symptoms, and also can be used on insect bites.
- Cedarwood – very helpful to bring down stress levels.
- Chamomile – helps with insomnia, neuralgia, muscle aches, sprains and strains
- Frankincense – helps with anxiety and stress (this oil can be one of the more expensive ones, so feel free to omit it if you would like.)
- Juniper Berry – helps with cellulitus, rheumatism, toxin build up,
- Lavender – helps with anxiety, cystitis, depression, earache, headache, rheumatism, insomnia, sprains and strains, stress, vertigo.
- Marjoram – helps with aching muscles, muscles cramps, rheumatism, sprains and strains, stress.
*Please note that alternative medicine is STILL medicine, and should be used with your discretion or input from a health practitioner. I have used all of these oils, and they have been beneficial to ME. I have NEVER had a problem with them, BUT we are all different!
I hope you take the time to pamper yourself a little today! You deserve it!!
If you have any questions about essential oils in general or this recipe, please feel free to ask them!
And I would LOVE to hear feedback from anyone who tries these salts!! They have been a LIFE SAVER to me at times when I have been out of control with pain. I hope they work for you too!!
**If you are reading this anywhere other than www.gracefulagony.wordpress.com it is because this post has been stolen. Please click on the link provided to return to the site of origin